Thomas E. Fraser journal, 1880-1887


Date: 1880-1887 | Size: 1 microfilm_reel(s)


This journal documents the construction of the Lick Observatory building on Mt. Hamilton. It is a continuous record from 16 June 1880 to 30 October 1887.

Background note

Thomas E. Fraser was the foreman at the Lick Homestead, home of James Lick (1796-1876) in San Jose. He was in charge, with Trustee Captain Richard S. Floyd, of the construction of the Lick Observatory, then the most powerful telescope in the world.

Collection Information

Physical description

1 microfilm reel.


Presented by C. D. Shane and accessioned, 04/23/1965 (1965 781mf).

Location of originals:

Originals in Lick Observatory, University of California, Santa Cruz.

General note

For a biography on James Lick, see Rosemary Lick, "The Generous Miser" (Ward Ritchie Press, 1967).

Indexing Terms

Corporate Name(s)

  • Lick Observatory.


  • Journals.
  • Microfilm Collection

Personal Name(s)

  • Burnham, S. W. (Sherburne Wesley), 1838-1921
  • Floyd, Richard S.
  • Fraser, Thomas E.
  • Lick, James, 1796-1876
  • Plum, Charles M.


  • Astronomical instruments.
  • Astronomical observatories -- California.
  • Astronomy -- History.
  • Technology -- History.
  • Telescopes